Saturday, June 6, 2015

Ask~ Seek~ and Knock~

Have you ever wondered about why the Jesus, in the verses in Matthew 7 and Luke 11, mentions 3 ways to prayer? I've always wondered, why "ask", "seek" and "knock"? Why not other words? Why does it have to be these 3? And what is the difference between these 3 words anyway? Is it significant in the difference of these 3 words?

This morning, I was reading a devotional and there, the verse about asking, seeking and knocking was surfaced. And it got me thinking deeper this time.. What difference does these 3 ways of reaching God have in prayer?

Ask: to say something with hopes to obtain or be given something (to know the answers)

Is there a difference in definition of these 3 words? Of course! The devotional mentions something I didn't think of. The author said that the sequence in which Jesus mentioned these 3 words was going from a mere desire for something to happen, to a sure confidence that that which we hope to happen, to come through and happen! Meaning, confidence in that what we ask for will be fulfilled.

The 3 verses in the bible that were used in this devotional are in:1. Matthew 7:7-8 (NIV)2. James 1:6 (NIV)3. Ephesians 3:20 (NIV)


Seek: to find something so as to obtain it (to look for them)

Knock: to strike a surface noisily to attract attention (especially when waiting to be let in through a door)

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us...

Looking at these verses, I thought, yeah, it is going from a desire to sure confidence of obtaining what was at first only disirable. That lead me to another verse in Luke 11. That was the passage in which Jesus taught His disciples about prayer, starting with how they should pray.

Luke 11:5-8 (NIV) says:Then Jesus said to them, “Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have no food to offer him.’ And suppose the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’ I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity he will surely get up and give you as much as you need.

Jesus was saying to His disciples and us here that asking and desiring something isn't quite enough. It is when we desire it enough that we are desperate to seek for an answer and willing to be shamelessly bold and continuously consistent in knocking at the door of prayer that we see something come through for us. It may be a need, a want or a trial that seems like there's no way out of. When we audaciously (boldly, that may be surprising or shocking) knock at the door of prayer that things happen!



Abba, our Father in heaven,

Let the audacious faith rise in me that I may not only desire but search for and knock continuously consistently at the door of prayer for my family's salvation. Not just my family but my friends around me. The precious people You have placed in my life to be a light to, for Your glory. Lord, I know that a city on a hill cannot be hidden and neither will a lamp be lit and placed under a bowl but on a lampstand that will shine it's light in a dark room and illuminate it. So that the darkness will be exposed and light can consume the darkness!

Lord, I pray for Roar15 happening in 2 weeks time. God, I am excited to meet with You in camp and I pray that not just meet but have an awesome, eye opening encounter with You for every non-believer that will be joining us. Lord, let the viel that covers their face be torn and the scales upon their eyelids fall off, in the Name of Jesus! I pray specifically for those friends who have been coming for camp a number of times yet have not responded to You that this camp, faith will rise and fearlessness will be what fills this camp. Each person will give You a chance to work in their hearts and a chance to show them the power of God. I pray for the leaders meeting today that each leader will come equipped with the Word of God and with prayer. I pray for each leader that will be coming today to have a boldness and shamelessness like that of Peter, of John and Paul in the midst of our friends at camp. May there be a revivalist spirit in each leader to share the love of God with every camper who'll be there! In Jesus name I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment